One Over One Hundred

I moved from The Big Easy to a place about 13 blocks from Sokol Underground in Janurary of '04. My normal week in the Crescent City included at least 4 hours of live, musical entertainment. I logged 31 acts over the 10 days of Jazzfest '03, not counting the ones I played with or saw at the fairgrounds. I need live music.

In increments of 1%, I am finding fulfillment in Omaha.

textual and photographic submissions can be submitted to sandstep@cox.net

Saturday, October 29, 2005

U.S.E.

I would have loved to see the look on United State of Electronica's faces when they looked inside O'Leavers. I thank them for the patience with the house sound. It didn't sound great, but it sure sounded like a party... like Parliament on a Casio VL-Tone. The band has a couple dozen members, from what I could tell. It was difficult to discern, as the crowd/band lines began to blur, made hazy by the smoke machine. It was fun to see them in a packed, small venue, although I wonder what they would be like in the Underground with the lighted, 3-foot U S E letters high enough that you could see them. In O'Leavers it created a proportion-skewed Wonderland, where giants dance to the neverending kick in the swirl of the octopus light.

After the show I talked them out of the buttoned armband they had been using as a sort of merch display. I should have picked up the t-shirt that read: United State Of Electronica. But in real wing-dings, not the webdings.

100_0732

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home