One Over One Hundred

I moved from The Big Easy to a place about 13 blocks from Sokol Underground in Janurary of '04. My normal week in the Crescent City included at least 4 hours of live, musical entertainment. I logged 31 acts over the 10 days of Jazzfest '03, not counting the ones I played with or saw at the fairgrounds. I need live music.

In increments of 1%, I am finding fulfillment in Omaha.

textual and photographic submissions can be submitted to sandstep@cox.net

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Left d.b.a. too early

This is the revamp. It's called, blog the damn show before you go to bed. It'll be on my new blog , called TBD.

I'm looking through the OffBeat to find something to do because I work nite-side tomorrow, and I notice Johnny V. with Mike Dillon. I contact a couple of friends to see if they're aware, and head down to the show. I show at 10:40 for the 10:00 show to find I'm right on time, they're still setting up.

*Damn, I forgot to close my tab. I guess that happens when you're trying to forge a new blog.

The music speaks for itself, although I'll expound on some high point in a moment. Right now I want to get to new style, the TBD style. Less critique, more for my memory, and possibly your amusement.

Connections.

I'm sitting at the bar, having a pint with Brower, recently of Dirty Coast fame, and Bill the Chef appears. Bill just went through the Grand Opening of the new restaurant. Nagin was there. He gave them an award for contributing to rebuilding, more or less. Bill's doing great, I'm doing great, we chat, we turn to mingle.

I move out onto Frenchman and run into Jen, a close friend of an ex-girlfriend. Its been years since I've seen either in person. We chat, talk about where we've been, and thankfully Bill stumbles into view, giving me an excuse to move on. No offense to Jen, it was nice talking with you and I'm glad we can say, "what's up" when we bump into each other, but, we're acquaintances, do you expect more?

I talked with Nathan, a friend and co-worker of Bill's, who stayed through 'the storm.' He had a friend who was a hotel manger. He weathered Katrina in a crowd of a dozen or so in a posh hotel with a good stock of frozen gourmet and a propane stove, and got out of the city on the Thursday after the storm. I've met Nathan before, but I can't place it.

It bears mentioning, I suppose, that for the second set, two thirds of the band, the Vidacarage a Trois, are my myspace friends, Mike Dillon, who was on the bill (no cover, suckas) and Skerik, the secret special guest. "It's nice to see Skerik without all his crazy shit once in a while," I said to Brower, who provided the quote of the night, "we're so fucking spoiled in this city."

Yeah ya right.

to be continued... with the dirt on Angel, and more TBD goodness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home